The concept of a Green New Deal is being advanced in Congress as a way of responding to the climate crisis while creating thousands of good jobs to repair the economy and promote equity. Activist members of the House of Representatives are calling on House leaders to appoini a Select Committee to develop a Plan for a Green New Deal and draft legislation that would achieve the following outcomes in 10 years:
· Dramatically expand existing renewable power sources ai id deploy new production capacity with the goal of meeting 400% of national power demand through renewable sources:
· Build a national, energy-efficient, “smart” grid;
· upgrade every residential and industrial building for state-of-the-art energy efficiency, comfort and safety;
· eliminate greenhouse gas emissions icin the manufacturing, agi yal and cthei industries, including by investing in local-scale agriculture in communities across the country;
· eliminate greenhouse gas emissions from (2), repairing and improving transportation and other infrastructure, and upgrading water infrastructure to ensure universal access to clean water;
· fund a massive investment in the drawdown of greenhouse gases,
· make “green” technology, industry, expertise, products and services a major export of the United States, with the aim of becoming the undisputed international leader in heiping other countries transition to completely greenhouse gas neutral economies and bringing about a global Green New Deal.